We are helping the children of Haiti
On Wednesday, 22nd March, volunteers of the Polish Medical Mission flew to Haiti where they will accomplish the first stage of the project called ‘The Children of Haiti’. The objective of the project is to provide aid to the youngest inhabitants of the island that is the poorest country in the world, troubled by cataclysms and natural disasters. The project is being accomplished in collaboration with the Air France airlines.
“We are hugely grateful to the carrier Air France for supporting our project,” says Ewa Piekarska, President of the PMM, “The aid that is provided by the aware and involved companies to non-governmental organisations such as the PMM facilitates our activity and gives more chances to provide help to those who need it.”
On an Air France flight to Port-au-Prince, the capital of Haiti, three rescuers and volunteers of the Polish Medical Mission will fly today: Michał Wieczorek, Łukasz Mazurowski and Kamil Gabarski. They will be accomplishing the first stage of the project, which includes among other things: the purchase and delivery of the most needed school accessories and equipment for the Sakala centre that provides education and care for children and young people deprived of their homes; educational workshops for the centre’s beneficiaries in the English language and in providing first aid; assistance to Jesula, who is studying medicine in her third year and needs resources to complete her studies; a fact-finding mission concerning the social and health needs of the inhabitants of Haiti as well as the most efficient forms of support to the local healthcare centres.
Why we are helping:
- 80% of inhabitants of Haiti live in extreme poverty;
- the island is repeatedly hit by natural disasters;
- in 2010, as a result of the largest earthquake in 200 years, approx. 70,000 people were killed, 250,000 people were injured and over 1.5m lost their homes;
- in 2016, Hurricane Matthew caused huge destruction there and the number of fatalities was over 1,000 while 1.5m inhabitants lost their homes and their livelihoods;
- thus far, Haiti has not risen from the ruins;
- under these conditions, children are living doomed to starvation and suffering, often without any educational opportunities and without any perspectives for a better future.
If you want to help pay money to the account: 72 1240 4650 1111 0010 3991 0067, with the annotation ‘Haiti’